Troop D began as a part of what was then District 5 and was headquartered near what would become later Chennault Air Force Base in Lake Charles. Lake Charles served as the headquarters for District 5. Troop D was one of the original four troops formed in 1936.
In January 1938, the Auto Theft Bureau was established within the Louisiana State Police, including District 5. The entire fifth district force served as the bureau's local unit. Troopers were proud of the teletype system that was maintained by the bureau and their ability to communicate with other districts and with other states. The goal of the bureau was to "cooperate in every way possible with law enforcing agencies to hasten the recovery of stolen cars."
In July of 1941, a new state police radio station was established. It served as a vital link in the Louisiana State Police network and also between Louisiana and Texas police authorities. The transmitting station provided information to vehicles in District 5 comprising Calcasieu, Cameron, Allen, Jeff Davis, Evangeline, St. Landry, and Acadia parishes. All vehicles were equipped with receivers.
About 1960, Troop D moved to property near U.S. 90 along Lake Charles, next to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. This building served as the troop headquarters for over 25 years.
In 1996, Troop D moved to its present-day location, on Main Street near Broad Street in Lake Charles. This location was evacuated, and the doors locked during Hurricane Rita. Troop personnel relocated to various locations throughout the troop area, while most gathered in Oakdale, preparing to render assistance to citizens in the area after the storm subsided.
|Weston "Rab" Fanguy|
|L.W. "Fate" Cooper L.|
|Jerome C. Hass|
|Homer B. Jones|
|Clarence C. Barton|
|Norman J. Roy|
|Kenneth "Moose" Delcambre|