Ulis Floyd
Trooper Ulis Floyd
Troop E, Alexandria
February 24, 1952

On the morning of February 24, 1952, Trooper Ulis Floyd and his 25-year-old son were shot and killed in the front yard of their home.

Prior to the fatal shootings, Trooper Floyd and a deputy from the LaSalle Parish Sheriff's Office had stopped one of the assailants on U.S. 84 eight miles east of Tullos, Louisiana. According to reports, Trooper Floyd was patrolling on U.S. 84 and passed a 1942 Chevrolet sedan driven by a man later identified as one of his assailants. Approximately one-half mile further on U.S. 84, Trooper Floyd observed a 1941 Chevrolet driving recklessly. Trooper Floyd advised the LaSalle deputy by radio that he was stopping the vehicle to check the driver. Both officers questioned the driver and asked why he was driving in such a reckless manner. The driver stated that he was looking in his rear-view mirror, believing that the driver of the 1942 Chevrolet sedan, which Floyd had just passed, was following him. The driver reportedly told the officers that he had consumed two or three bottles of beer. The driver was advised to proceed, with the understanding that they would follow him and check his driving. After following the vehicle for about a mile, the two officers determined that his condition was normal.

Trooper Floyd ended his tour of duty at approximately 11:50 p.m. that evening. According to reports, a car suddenly stopped in front of Trooper Floyd's gate at 12:04 a.m. Trooper Floyd, hearing the vehicle, got out of bed, changed into house clothes, got his flashlight and went to investigate without arming himself. About one minute after he walked outside, several shots were heard. His wife and son, after hearing the shots, ran outside to check on Floyd. When his wife saw that he had been shot, she sent the son back inside to get a pillow and blanket to comfort him. During this time the two assailants had backed their car into a ditch, causing it to become stuck. Trooper Floyd's son, who had armed himself with his father's gun, returned from the house, gave the pillow and blanket to his mother and began to fire at the two men. The two assailants returned fire, killing the boy. Approximately two hours later, both subjects were found and later wounded during their apprehension. Both men were jointly indicted in March 1952 for the murder of Ulis Floyd. A change of venue was granted to Caldwell Parish and both subjects were jointly tried in June 1952. The jury failed to reach a verdict thereby resulting in a mistrial. They were thereafter tried again in January 1953. In that trial the jury handed down a verdict of NOT GUILTY for both men. The court ordered the accused parties acquitted and released.

At the time of his death, Trooper Ulis Floyd had been a Trooper for fourteen years, one month, and twenty days.