Troop L History
Louisiana State Police Troop L, located in the center of St. Tammany Parish, encompasses a four parish area totaling over 2,700 square miles. As a result of its four major interstate systems, Troop L experiences a large volume of both commercial and private motor vehicle traffic throughout the area. In addition to interstate traffic volume, Troop L has experienced a steady increase in its residential population over the past decade contributing to increased traffic on state highways and an increase in student population throughout area schools. Despite traffic and population increases, Troop L has seen a 34% reduction in fatal crashes since 2009. This reduction in crashes can be attributed to Troop L's commitment to proactive educational campaigns combined with targeted enforcement of common safety violations.
Troop L began its humble start in 1959 with its first headquarters based out of a log cabin on the grounds of Fountainebleau State Park near Mandeville. With only eleven troopers working around the clock seven days a week, Troop L carried out its mission of protecting the safety and security of its citizens in a primarily rural section of the state. Several months later, as population and manpower demands increased, Troop L was relocated to its current location off of the U.S. 190 Service Road near Interstate 12 and gained six more troopers to better serve its four parish area. In 1977, construction began on Troop L's present day headquarters building remaining centrally located in St. Tammany Parish. Today Troop L serves the citizens of its four parishes with 65 commissioned troopers, 4 communications operators, and three civilian employees.