It shall be the mission of the Louisiana State Police Criminal Intelligence Unit to collect, evaluate, and disseminate information on known or suspected criminal violators, groups, or organizations for analytical exploitation by the Investigative Support Unit. LA-SAFE will provide the department, other local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies with timely information regarding matters directly or indirectly affecting the safety and security of the people in the state. The Criminal Intelligence Unit shall only collect and retain information which is directly related to a legitimate law enforcement purpose. The activities of this unit shall not interfere with the exercise of constitutionally guaranteed rights and privileges of individuals.
LA-SAFE, a section within the Bureau of Investigations, provides operational and criminal intelligence assistance to an array of recipients. These include all the investigative elements of the Louisiana State Police as well as other requesting federal, state, local, and international law enforcement agencies.
The Criminal Intelligence Unit, a component of LA-SAFE, provides knowledge and information necessary to conduct intelligence-led policing; specifically in the areas of homegrown violent extremism, organized crime, public disorder, traveling criminals, dignitary protection, public corruption, and special investigations as directed by the Superintendent. CIU is composed of seven, regionally-located field offices divided into two regions who report to CIU headquarters in Baton Rouge, LA.
Priorities for CIU
- Homegrown Violent Extremists (HVE's): CIU is responsible for collecting information, investigating, and evaluating individuals, groups, and/or organizations that perpetrate crimes in support of Homegrown Violent Extremism.
- Investigations of Organized Crime: Investigate, collect, and report information dealing with the activities of syndicated criminal interests including both traditional and non-traditional organized crime groups.
- Investigation of Public Disorder: Investigate, collect, and report information dealing with activities of persons or groups having a propensity for violence, subversion, or are reasonably believed to be capable of violent acts against other persons.
- Investigation of Traveling Criminals: Investigates, identifies, and monitors the activities of individuals who meet the following criteria: convicted felon, arrested in three or more jurisdictions, association with other, known criminals; and/or directly connected with a crime or crimes committed by other known criminals.
- Public Corruption: Investigation of incidents involving a breach of public trust and/or abuse of position by federal, state, or local officials and their private sector accomplices.
- Special Investigations: Any investigation directed by the Superintendent or his designee.
(click map to enlarge)